When it comes to losing weight, there’s only one long-term solution: eat right and exercise. I don’t recommend taking pills or going on temporary diets to lose weight. The minute you go off that diet and stop exercising, you’ll gain the weight back. Losing weight and being healthy are lifelong ventures.
While eating right and exercising is the only true way to lose weight and keep it off, there are little things you can do to help the process along.
- Having an awesome breakfast. Not easy breakfasts like poptarts are frozen waffles, but breakfasts like this all-vegan oatmeal of champions. Start your day off like a thunder god with a great, healthy breakfast.
- Eat smaller meals more often. This is a pretty often debated subject, but I’m personally a believer in eating 5 small meals instead of 2 or 3 big ones. Keep your metabolism moving!
- Cut back on starch. Don’t confuse this with me telling you to cut down on carbs. Your body needs carbohydrates. I don’t recommend low carb diets like Atkins. You might be skinny, but you can still get heart disease by eating bacon wrapped steak and saying no to the vegetables.
- Exercise. No brainer. Burn more calories in a day than you bring in.
- Don’t just mindlessly eat. Take some time and apply some thought to the food you’re going to put into your body. Eat slowly. Eat good foods. Forget the processed crap.
- Cheat a little bit. It’s okay, we won’t tell anyone. Let yourself have something you really enjoy. But don’t overdo it.
- Interval exercises where you increase intensity for short bursts has been shown to burn those extra calories after your workout is over. It even works with walking too. Just walk faster for brief periods, or try walking up a hill or two.
- Pour the soda down the drain. Sodas suck anyway. So sugary and full of nonsense. A glass of wine or beer is fine though, just don’t overdo it.
- Love yourself. Don’t freak out and self sabotage if you don’t like how you look. You’ll get to where you need to be, we’re sure of it!