By Ana Margarita Olar | GetHealthAccess.com
Having at least 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night is essential for our holistic well-being. It refreshes our physical, emotional and psychological being. It replenishes the energy we spent the whole day. Sleep deprivation leads to depression, irritation, frustration, confusion and other negative emotions. Here are some things that you should do to sleep soundly at night:
1. Establish a sleep ritual that will tell your body that it’s time to rest. These are some sleep rituals that you can try:
• Drinking warm milk
• Reading a short, inspiring story (or the Bible)
• Have a light massage (if you have a partner)
• Watch a light themed movie
• Praying or meditating
• Playing soft music
You can try to explore your own sleep ritual and do it every night as long as it helps you to sleep.
2. Create an environment suitable for sleeping. Have a soft bed sheet, fluffy pillows, dim light, and a well scented blanket to help you sleep. If you are working, establish a designated place for working; do not put your work-related things on your bed.
3. Have enough activity during the day. Exercise in the morning or in the afternoon, two to three hours before bedtime. Physical activities require consumption of energy that your body will automatically doze off to rest at night. Also, exercise helps in weight control and prevents you from experiencing sleep apnea.
4. Try limiting your fluid intake at night. Are you bugged because you spend almost half of the night going in and out of the bathroom to pee rather than go to sleep? Limit fluid intake at night. If this won’t work, consult a physician because this may be related to a health condition.
5. Balanced Diet. There are foods that contain certain vitamins and minerals that help induce sleep. Some examples are the following: fish specifically salmon and tuna, banana, fortified cereals all are rich in vitamin B6 which is needed by the body to produce melatonin- a sleep-inducing hormone triggered by darkness.
6. Write it down. Have you ever experienced almost dozing off to sleep and suddenly waking up because a bothering thought (or a bright idea for a project) suddenly popped out of your mind? Its helps to write these thoughts down and leave it there go to sleep and think about them the next day.
Does anxiety bug you? Worrying about things is normal. But being anxious about the unknown just wastes your time and energy. Write down these thoughts, and try fixing it the next day.